If you want to spend a day learning a specific technique, or spend a weekend in great company quilting then you are in the right place!
At the end of term I often offer skills days and UFO days at Letchworth and in Watford,
I run regular weekend non-residential workshops (or Creativity Retreats!) here in Watford. There are hotels within walking distance (and further afield if you need to travel) and the mainline station is within 5 minutes walk.
Day and Weekend Workshops run from 10.00 till 4.00 each day and refreshments are provided. Please bring a packed lunch.
Please be aware that there is no disabled access or facilities and that all workshops are overseen by 2 calico cats.
Weekend Workshops cost £140 per person (unless specified). There may be additional costs for specific resources.
Day Workshops cost £80 per person (unless specified). There may be additional costs for specific resources.
Please email me to request more information or a booking form.
Calendar for 2020 will be published soon!
But to whet your appetite, this is some of what has happened this year
- Fabric Dyeing using Procion Dyes
- Double Dyeing – During this part of the workshop you will produce a set of related colours of fabric perfect for any textile project. As a result of the Double Dyeing technique, the first colour glows through magnificently
- Ice Dyeing – It’s magical! As the ice melts the colour is drawn into the fabric
- Resist Techniques – using wax, folding the fabric and tying threads etc will all interfere with the ingress of the dye into the fabric – try a variety of the techniques and see what happens! The amount
- Tray Dyeing – One of the more interesting uses for a cat litter tray!
- There will be additional costs for dyes, chemicals and some more unusual fabrics.
- Ricky Tims’ Original Harmonic Convergence
Create a Ricky Tims style original Harmonic Converence quilt top. Finished size approx 30” square and can be used as a cushion front or small wall-hanging. This is a “Mystery Quilt” – you need a bit of faith and a lot of trust to see where it is going!
The block can be enhanced by applique and borders.
The amount of work completed by each participant will depend on their existing skills and pace of work.
- Linear Landscape – Mixed Media Wall Hanging
This can be any “view” – sea, pastoral, mountains – your choice. Make a Wall Hanging – approx 40” high by 10” wide using stitch and Flip piecing on a Calico foundation. You will work with different fabrics – cottons, silks, sheers, embellishments – and use a mixture of hand & machine quilting, couching, surface embroidery and Free Machine Quilting. The idea is to take a photograph of somewhere important to you and represent it in fabrics. The amount of work completed by each participant will depend on their existing skills and pace of work
- Star Light, Star Bright
A weekend to create stars! Using a variety of techniques (including Half & Quarter Square Triangles, Flying Geese, Foundation Piecing – to name a small selection), develop and enhance your cutting and piecing techniques. You will learn approximately 6 different block designs (from a selection of 10), though you do not have to make each of them and can make multiples of some. You will also learn how to put them together to make a wall hanging. The amount of work completed by each participant will depend on their existing skills and pace of work
- Simple Stained Glass Wallhanging
Simple technique creates stunning results. Create a wall hanging 20” x30” using scrap fabrics and fusible bias