Book me for in-person or Zoom visits to your group.
workshops and Talks for Quilt Groups & Guilds
I love visiting quilt groups to give talks and lead workshops. Talks and workshops can also be delivered over Zoom – the world really is our oyster!
Contact me to discuss your requirements.
- Challenge and Extend : this talk explores how I nurture and nudge my students into new areas of creativity, design and colour. I share the outcome of a number of classes and workshops, showing the range of responses to an initial theme.
- Traditional Made Modern : an exploration into the world of Modern Quilting and a look specifically at the theme of Modern Traditionalism together with ideas for how you might take traditional ideas and reinterpret them with a modern vibe.
- Wonderful Wadding : a chance to feel different types of waddings and see how they behave inside quilts and with different styles of quilting. This talk does not work over Zoom – yet!
- Beyond the Ditch – Adventurous Quilting with the Walking Foot. A day of tips and techniques to take your quilting “Beyond the Ditch” This workshop will give you opportunity to experience creating lots of different designs that you can achieve quilting using your walking foot.
- Traditional Made Modern – This workshop will give you opportunities to look at some traditional blocks, and make them more modern using distortion, improv, stack & cut and other techniques.
- Straying from the (Drunkard’s) Path – Improvising around the Drunkard’s Path block, utilising spikes, arcs and borders; freehand curved cutting and stitching.
- Quilt As You Go – There are many techniques where you quilt your quilt in smaller sections and join them together. The aim of this workshop is share some of those techniques so that next time you are working on a quilt you can choose a method that is right for you.
- Simple Stained Glass – Spend a day using this simple bias strip applique technique to create stunning results. Create a wall hanging 10” x20” using scrap fabrics and fusible bias.
I am always happy to tailor my workshops to the needs and interests of your group. Contact me to discuss possibilities.
Would you like to hire me for a talk or quilting workshop?
Learn New Techniques
Build your Design Confidence
Create Beautiful Quilts
Join our Friendly Community
Ditch Stitch in the Ditch!
"I came away having thoroughly enjoyed myself, (with) a newfound confidence in curved piecing.
I love Sheena’s courses and this master class on improvised curved piecing was no exception. Sheena skillfully navigated us through the techniques necessary to master cutting curves free hand using the rotary cutter and how to sew them together. As always with Sheena she built the class from introductory foundations which included examination of her sumptuous sample pieces. Detailed well organised illustrated notes accompanied the instruction and there was ample opportunity to practise and play before committing to the main samples of the day. Another bonus is that Sheena is very knowledgeable about sewing machines and I never fail to come away from her classes with another item of information about how to use my machine more effectively. The class was relaxed, fun, tailored to the individual and represents very good value for money. I came away having thoroughly enjoyed myself, a newfound confidence in curved piecing and enough samples to make into two beautiful cushions. Thank you Sheena another gem of a workshop.
Myra – Straying from the Path – Improvising around the Drunkard’s Path block
"I really feel I achieved something and will be making more as it’s been much admired.
I had a great day on this Zoom course- Sheena explained and demonstrated all the steps as well as providing an excellent pdf handout. There were lots of opportunities to learn from Sheena and from each other and it was lovely to be able to complete my wall hanging in one day (I did everything but the hand sewing of the binding during the class). I really feel I achieved something and will be making more as it’s been much admired.
Susan Hood – Zoom Stained Glass Workshop
"I thoroughly enjoyed this course, and came away with lots of ideas, hints and tips - and more confidence to try new ideas.
Sheena is a great tutor – she explains things well, and is prepared to demonstrate and explain a different way if we didn’t understand it the first time. She never makes you feel that you are stupid! Sheena also coped with glitches in technology with patience and humour. I’m looking forward to the next workshop I’m doing with her in June! Thank you Sheena!!
Helen Clark – Zoom Beyond the Ditch Workshop
"This was a fabulous stained glass workshop. I learned so much!
This was a fabulous stained glass workshop. I learned so much, Sheena made it fun and the day flew by. The day was really well organised, too, so that it felt like a face-to-face course. Sheena has the skill of imparting her knowledge with good humour and grace and she has loads of tips to share.
Jane – Zoom Stained Glass Workshop
"Thank you so much
THANK YOU so much for such a wonderfully inspiring talk which was enjoyed by everyone. It’s surprising how many of us had teachers who knocked the confidence and enthusiasm out of us isn’t it?
It was lovely to see your quilts and also lots of your students’ work too.
Tingewick Patchers – Talk – Challenge & Extend