Due to the Pandemic all live classes are currently taking place over Zoom.
Still face to face teaching, just without the biscuits.
Live quilting classes, Workshops and Talks
Join our friendly, supportive community of quilters and explore your creative side, whilst sharing tea and biscuits. There might even be cake once in a while!
I love teaching and offer Live quilting courses in Hertfordshire and over Zoom. They are tailored to suit your needs. My mantra is KISS – keep it simple, sweetie, and I really believe in using simple techniques to create stunning results.
In-Person Termly Group Courses classes take place in Watford and Letchworth. During these half day sessions I will work with you so that you can create a quilt or wall hanging. Each term will be a new project. We are moving forward with plans for in-person courses for the Autumn term – Scroll down to see what’s on offer!
- Workshops take place over Zoom or In-Person and are between a half day and two days duration. Live teaching is supported by very detailed instructions with photographs and diagrams.
- Zoom Termly Group Courses are for you if you want to learn in a group setting. They take place weekly over Zoom. The live teaching is supported by very detailed instructions with photographs and diagrams.
- Below you will see some photographs of students’ work from different classes and workshops – Enjoy! And if you would like to see your work from one of our classes there, send me a good quality photograph and we’ll see what we can do!
During the ongoing pandemic all classes will continue to be taught via Zoom until it is safe to do otherwise.
Learn New Techniques
Build your Design Confidence
Create Beautiful Quilts
Join our Friendly Community
Ditch Stitch in the Ditch!
Live Zoom Termly Quilting Classes
Classes run a half day a week over 10 weeks over Zoom, on
Monday evenings, 7.00 – 9.30pm – aimed at all levels
Quilting classes over Zoom take the best elements of face to face classes and online classes. They are small (maximum of 10 people in each class) so that you get lots of individual attention and opportunities to develop at your own pace. Learning is supported by pdf tutorials and videos, and you have a lovely supportive community.
Each term there will be a new project, and these can be tailored to your skill level.
Watford Quilting Classes
Classes run a half day a week over 10 weeks in Watford WD17, on
Tuesday evenings, 7.00 – 9.30pm – aimed at Beginners
Thursday mornings, 9.30am – 12.00
Thursday afternoons, 1.00 – 3.30pm
Quilting classes in Hertfordshire, Watford are very small (maximum of 4 people in each class) so that you get lots of individual attention and opportunities to develop at your own pace.
There is a wait list for all these classes, so please contact me to be added.
Quilting Classes at The Settlement, Letchworth
Classes at Letchworth Settlement are for up to 12 people. They take place in one of the well-equipped craft rooms in this historic adult education centre. Please book with The Settlement direct – https://www.letchworthsettlement.org.uk/
Classes run over 11 weeks on:
Tuesday mornings 9.45 -12.15pm
Wednesday evenings 7.00-9.30pm
Join me for one of my fun workshops – spend time learning a technique or creating a small project.
At the moment all workshops are being delivered via Zoom, rather than in person.
Workshop topics for 2021/22 –
– Stitched Landscape : September 2021
– Beyond the Ditch – Adventurous Quilting with the Walking Foot : November 2021
– Improvisational Piecing Wall Hanging : January 2022
– Beyond the Drunkard’s Path – Improv Curved Piecing : March 2022
– Improvising from the Tradition : May 2022
– Simple Stained Glass : June 2022
Each workshop includes a full pattern/instructions and ongoing support in our private Facebook group.
I love visiting quilt groups to give talks and lead workshops. Contact me to discuss your requirements. Talks and workshops can also be delivered over Zoom – the world really is our oyster!
Workshops – I am always happy to tailor my workshops to the needs and interests of your group. Contact me to discuss possibilities.
Talks for 2021/22 –
– Challenge and Extend : this talk explores how I nurture and nudge my students into new areas of creativity, design and colour. I share the outcome of a number of classes and workshops, showing the range of responses to an initial theme.
– Traditional Made Modern : an exploration into the world of Modern Quilting and a look specifically at the theme of Modern Traditionalism together with ideas for how you might take traditional ideas and reinterpret them with a modern vibe.
– Wonderful Wadding : a chance to feel different types of waddings and see how they behave inside quilts and with different styles of quilting. This talk does not work over Zoom!
Would you like to hire me for a talk or quilting workshop?
"Sheena's Free Motion Quilting day was amazing.
I had never attempted free motion quilting as it seemed a complicated mystery to me. Sheena’s Free Motion Quilting day was amazing. It was a small group and there was plenty of time to get to grips with understanding what an important part tension plays and how this can be affected. Now that I understand and have mastered this, I feel confident to practice and incorporate this in my quilts in future. I would highly recommend Sheena’s courses, there is something for every level and she covers a lot of different elements of quilting.
Anne Salisbury – FMQ Workshop
"I really feel I achieved something and will be making more as it’s been much admired.
I had a great day on this Zoom course- Sheena explained and demonstrated all the steps as well as providing an excellent pdf handout. There were lots of opportunities to learn from Sheena and from each other and it was lovely to be able to complete my wall hanging in one day (I did everything but the hand sewing of the binding during the class). I really feel I achieved something and will be making more as it’s been much admired.
Susan Hood – Stained Glass Workshop
"I thoroughly enjoyed this course, and came away with lots of ideas, hints and tips - and more confidence to try new ideas.
Sheena is a great tutor – she explains things well, and is prepared to demonstrate and explain a different way if we didn’t understand it the first time. She never makes you feel that you are stupid! Sheena also coped with glitches in technology with patience and humour. I’m looking forward to the next workshop I’m doing with her in June! Thank you Sheena!!
Helen Clark – Beyond the Ditch Workshop
"This was a fabulous stained glass workshop. I learned so much!
This was a fabulous stained glass workshop. I learned so much, Sheena made it fun and the day flew by. The day was really well organised, too, so that it felt like a face-to-face course. Sheena has the skill of imparting her knowledge with good humour and grace and she has loads of tips to share.
Jane – Stained Glass Workshop
"The Textile Textures Playtime course is such fun and very informative!
I always look forward to the first of the month when the new material is sent out as I find it a real stimulus to creativity. The written tutorials, photos and videos are very well presented and easy to follow. In addition, the tutor, Sheena is very approachable and always willing to provide help as needed. The private Facebook group is very helpful too and has photos of many inspiring projects created by students. One of the things I like about the tutorials is the different ways in which the techniques taught can be applied – I have found the course to be so useful for giving me ideas for embellishments to add to the upcycled clothing that I create, and I am sure the course would be of benefit to anyone who creates with textiles in any form and did I mention it is FUN??
I highly recommend both this course and the lovely tutor, Sheena who is an excellent teacher.
Beverley Chamberlain – Playtime Subscription